August 19, 2026

Prince Harry and Family to Return to the UK

Prince Harry and his family plan to leave Southern California and move to the United Kingdom, according to a source familiar with the couple’s plans. The Duke of Sussex, 41, his wife Meghan, 45, and their children, Archie, 7, and Lilibet, 5, have been residing in Montecito, a wealthy area in Santa Barbara County. King Charles was informed about the move on Sunday. However, the subject was not mentioned during the Sussex family’s visit in July.

King Charles is pleased with the chance to see more of the Sussexes in a personal capacity. Despite this, the family will continue as private individuals and will retain their status as nonworking members of the royal family.

The couple took refuge in California after stepping back from royal duties in 2020. Reports from The Telegraph and The Sun indicated the move on Wednesday evening. According to these reports, Archie and Lilibet are expected to attend British schools starting in September. This implies the family will relocate within the next two weeks. Despite the move, they will not take up royal duties or reside in a royal home, preferring to lead a private life. What their security arrangements will entail remains uncertain.

“It is our long-standing policy not to provide detailed information on those arrangements, as doing so could compromise their integrity and affect individuals’ security,” said a U.K. Home Office spokesperson regarding the couple’s security plans.

Meghan is expected to continue managing her lifestyle brand, As Ever, in the U.K. When queried, a representative for the Sussexes did not refute the reports of their move back.

This decision follows Harry’s challenging visit to the U.K. in July, during which his Buckingham Palace accommodation offer was rescinded, and he had to revise travel plans with his family due to security issues. The couple last visited the U.K. together in 2022 for Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral.

A family reunion might not be simple due to Harry’s strained ties with King Charles and Prince William. Tensions have been high, with Harry’s 2023 memoir “Spare” addressing some grievances. Last year, Harry met his father, who is receiving cancer treatment, despite previously claiming the King refused to meet.

Harry remarked about reconciling with his family by May 2025, acknowledging uncertainties about King Charles’s health. India McTaggart, a royal correspondent for The Telegraph, shared that Harry has long wished to return to the U.K.

“He’s made no secret of his desire to reunite his children with the king and the Spencer side of the family. He wants a place in the U.K. where he can visit without media attention,” McTaggart said.

Harry’s relationship with his brother remains fractured. However, communication with King Charles has improved. Returning to the U.K. also aligns with Harry’s charity work.

“Many of his charities, like Invictus and WellChild, are based here. He feels closer to home, with friends here, making the move easier despite security concerns,” McTaggart noted. She mentioned that Meghan appears to be supportive of the decision.

TAGS: