CBS News dismissed ’60 Minutes’ correspondent Scott Pelley after he challenged Editor-in-Chief Bari Weiss, accusing her of negatively impacting the broadcast. Additionally, Pelley criticized the qualifications of the new executive producer Nick Bilton.
In a separate legal matter, former ABC News field producer Samira Said filed a lawsuit against CBS News chief correspondent Matt Gutman, ABC News, The Walt Disney Co., and an ABC bureau chief. Said alleges that Gutman made inappropriate workplace comments and that ABC terminated her after denying medical accommodations related to trauma from covering the Uvalde school shooting.
The lawsuit, submitted to the Los Angeles Superior Court, describes an incident where Gutman allegedly initiated a conversation rating a female correspondent’s appearance while Said worked on an all-male team. The complaint states that team members attempted to involve Said, who declined, labeling the conversation as inappropriate.
“The male crew joined in, continuing to assess the woman’s body and looks in Said’s presence. The men attempted to draw Said into the conversation by soliciting her views. Said declined and stated the conversation was inappropriate,” the complaint details.
The filing also mentions a movie release event where Said and Gutman disagreed on their team’s departure time. Gutman allegedly insinuated that Said had a personal engagement, undermining her professional opinion.
Said’s lawsuit accuses ABC and Disney of discrimination, retaliation, failing to accommodate medical conditions, and wrongful termination. She was employed at ABC News’ Los Angeles bureau from May 2021 until March 2025.
According to the lawsuit, Said had COVID-19 symptoms when assigned to cover the 2022 Uvalde school shooting. After interviewing traumatized children, she experienced significant psychological distress. Though a psychiatrist cleared her for work with accommodations, management allegedly demanded a full return to duties without restrictions.
The lawsuit details how Said was reassigned to unfavorable shifts and events, resulting in injury. ABC terminated Said in a supposed routine meeting on March 5, 2025. She seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Matt Gutman, who began working at CBS in January, was previously with ABC for 17 years. CBS hired him to contribute to various shows including, ‘CBS Mornings,’ ‘CBS Evening News,’ and ’60 Minutes.’
Editor-in-chief Bari Weiss praised Gutman’s work ethic and journalistic qualities upon his hiring.
Disney and CBS have not provided responses to the lawsuit as of yet.
